Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Dream Come True!

A story by Uncle Larry in the NY Post says that the salary cap is expected to go up to $56.3M next season, and if revenues keep increasing at the rate they are will be $68M in the 2010-11 season. In light of this, Rangers President/GM Glen Sather asked to write a guest piece for The Rangers Recap to share his thoughts on the rising cap. Enjoy!


Hello friends! It's me, your favorite GM/recluse, Glen Sather. How have you guys been? I've been a little too busy this year to talk to the New York media. Did you catch those nice interviews I did with the Edmonton papers, though? Man, I love Edmonton. Anyway, have you enjoyed the playoff team that I've once again built for you? And you people questioned me when I signed Gomez and Drury to $7M contracts.

When I heard that the salary cap that was going up again next year, I was quite excited. My good friend and associate Mr. Jim Dolan will again let me spend up to the cap ceiling next season. Of course, that extra $6M out of his pocket will be felt by you CableVision subscribers. But hey, that's your cross to bear so you can have a playoff team in MSG.

I know over the last few seasons I've kept my spending ways under control. I've even let some of these worthless kids that I've drafted take roster spots instead of those much more qualified free agent veterans. I really wanted that nice Michael Peca fellow this summer, but of course that whiny ass Renney wouldn't have it. He said that this Dubinsky kid could be our third line center. But he's got my $7M man Chris Drury there! What's up with that?!

But with the salary cap going up and up, I think it's time for me to wet my whistle in the free agent market this summer. It's too bad that Ottawa locked up Spezza and Heatley. They would have looked good in a Rangers jersey (although it'd be better if they were a few years older). Maybe I can snag Marian Hossa from that jerk Ray Shero in Pittsburgh. That's who I was originally trying to trade for in 2005.
Who knew that he had a brother?

GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY! I just realized that Bobby Holik is a free agent this summer! This day keeps getting better and better. Do you think $9M per year will be enough to bring him back to New York? Do you think I should give him a raise to $10M per? I still think he'd make a very nice first line center.

So many options for this summer...Jeremy Roenick, Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, etc. are all available. How's a gal like me supposed to keep her purse closed when there's so many great, well-aged veterans on the market? Maybe I can bring Mark Messier back for a third stint. The options are endless! I'll keep you posted on my shopping spree this summer, Ranger fans. Until then, enjoy the playoffs. Who are we playing this year, the Predators or something?

No comments: